Screenshot of Event Dashboard

Event Dashboard

Event management and analytics for Eventbrite creators.

Problem

The Event Dashboard is the most trafficked organizer facing page in the website. Because of this - over the years, many teams had put information they wanted to get in front of Organizers on the page. This had been done without evaluating user needs, and it resulted in a long, cluttered, difficult to use experience.

Through research, I also discovered that many organizers were struggling to understand the tools we had available to them. We were overloading our Organizers with information, but we weren’t providing the value that they needed.

We also needed to align this page to our new design system.

Team

I worked together with one other designer, a PM, an engineering manager, and several engineers.

My Role

I was in charge of preliminary user research, user testing, user experience design, and interaction pattern creation.

The previous event dashboard was overloaded with information (for context, this screenshot is cropped halfway through 😉) and didn't have clear hierarchy. It was also using our old visual system.

Since the content had been added by many teams over the years - nobody was sure what information was there for user needs vs. business wants. Because of this, there were also many individuals in the company that had stake in the product and were hesitant to make any major changes.

Screenshot of old dashboard

To alleviate those concerns, I kicked off the project by surveying 1,022 Event Organizers via an Ethnio pop-up on the existing dashboard to better understand user needs. I also did a product walk through with our customer success team to understand the areas they were receiving the most calls about.

Screenshot of prototype

Based on my research, I changed the hierarchy of the page and removed information that wasn’t adding value. I learned that tickets sold, page views, and email invite conversions were the most important so I made them easily accessible at the top of the page.

I also worked with another designer to align the page content to our design system language and create new patterns for the system where necessary.

The page layouts were then tested by users, shown to customer success, and run by major stakeholders. I was also able to test new design component interactions quickly using User Testing to make sure they were intuitive.

I was able to combine a user need with a business need by creating a “resources” section. This allowed users to easily find our tools that would add the most value to their event, and it gave the business an opportunity to highlight new tools and features as they were launched.

Ideally, long term, this list will be determined algorithmically based on what we know about the user.

Screenshot of new inline response form

Results

The product was launched in a beta as part of a larger overhaul of the Organizer experience. Traffic to featured tools was up and we received positive feedback from beta users. It will be rolled out to all users as part of a larger new experience.